Home provides safety and comfort. But, it can do so only when it is improved to make it efficient against the extreme temperatures and other foreign agents like dust, pest and allergens. All elements of the house can contribute to maintaining optimal temperature inside apart from keeping the space allergen-free, if those are taken care of nicely. Here are some of the home improvement ideas that are also useful for managing cold weather without putting pressure on power sources.
A. Redo the windows and doors
Sometimes, the cracks and creeks in windows are responsible for the freezing temperatures indoors. The performance of thermostats and heaters can e badly affected if the doors and windows are not up-to-date. Some of the popular ways to update these entry point house are –
- Repairing the broken parts or replacing the whole set with a newer and better one,
- Making use of dark colors so that the heat (whatever is available) is trapped inside the rooms nicely.
- Get all locks and latches repaired
B. Insulate the windows and doors
Creeks from the windows and doors can affect the room temperature terribly. There are certain effective ways to insulate these covers of the house which can make the place quite comfortable in the cold weather. These ways of insulating the doors and windows are:
- Use insulated curtains: Insulated curtains add additional shield from chilling winds. And, these can definitely allow the heat of the ream to stay indoors. The possibility of leakage of any kind is reduced significantly with the help of insulated curtains.
- Re-caulking the boundaries: The boundaries of these entry points can weather down with the passage of time. Thus, getting the re-caulking updated using DIY methods or with the help of carpenter can be useful for plugging the entry points of cold air.
- Use of door snake or weather shield: If you are looking for some temporary solution, then door snakes can help you stop air from entering through the space between door edge and the floor. Door snakes are nothing but a cylindrical shaped insulated cushion-like thing that can fit in the space and block the air from coming in. If you are not able to find door snakes in the market, you can make a temporary arrangement by rolling the towel and stuffing it in the gap.
More permanent solution lies in adding the weather shield. A weather shield is an insulated strip that can be pasted on to the edges of the doors and windows to provide relief from cold winds.
C. Use of quit covers and additional blankets
When you are done sealing the doors and windows perfectly, you can pay attention to quilts and blankets. There are queen quilt covers made of high thread count that offers protective cover as well as help trap heat inside it more efficiently. The use of quilt covers protects the quilts from getting soiled too early, and these provide additional warmth too.
D. Cover the floor with rug
Floor is another culprit that lets in the cold air much against the wishes of the inmates. The best and the easiest way to stop air from seeping in through floor is use of rugs. One can make use of woolen rugs or the rugs made of other warm materials to keep the house comfortable during winters.
Some countries do get sunlight even in winters. Thus, it is essential to let that natural light and heat enter the house. It can be done by keeping the windows open for time when the sunlight is abundant and shut those up as soon as the darker hours begin.